I don’t often practice mundane astrology (I like depressing topics in a more micro format, thanks), but this piece of news grabbed me (from the NYTimes):
“With delivery trucks under constant attack, the nation’s food is now transported under armed guard. Soldiers stand watch over bakeries. The police fire rubber bullets at desperate mobs storming grocery stores, pharmacies and butcher shops. A 4-year-old girl was shot to death as street gangs fought over food.
Venezuela is convulsing from hunger.
Hundreds of people here in the city of Cumaná, home to one of the region’s independence heroes, marched on a supermarket in recent days, screaming for food. They forced open a large metal gate and poured inside. They snatched water, flour, cornmeal, salt, sugar, potatoes, anything they could find, leaving behind only broken freezers and overturned shelves.
And they showed that even in a country with the largest oil reserves in the world, it is possible for people to riot because there is not enough food.”
Firstly, of course, because it’s horrifying to think that such a resource-rich country can fall into such chaos. Currently, a McDonald’s happy meal in Venezuela costs $146.
Secondly, this story grabbed my attention as it is strongly connected to an astrology theme I’ve been studying as of late.
I’ve been tracking the upcoming Ceres-Uranus conjunction for personal reasons (we have an ill family member, and this conjunction impacts many of our charts), so as soon as I saw the public outburst over food, one of the core themes of Ceres, I had to look at the chart a bit closer.
The Venezuela Food Crisis & Astrology
Birth Chart of Venezuela & Transits for 19th June, 2016
A Word About Mundane Astrology
In mundane astrology, the houses have slightly different meanings than in natal astrology. I’m going to list the meanings (in shortened format) here to help with anyone reading this post that may be unfamiliar (borrowed from Deborah Houlding’s must-have “The Houses: Temples of the Sky”):
- 1st House – The common people or general state of the nation; its prosperity/health;
- 2nd House – The nation’s assets and financial status, treasure, revenue. Also, money earned from the nation’s crops and resources.
- 3rd House – National rumours, propaganda, the press, public opinion, transport systems. Neighbouring nations and documents that concern international agreements.
- 4th House – Land, the owners/workers of the land, crops, produce. The farming, mining, gas industries as well as buildings and the property market.
- 5th House – The supplies, ammunitions and resources of a town under attack. Ambassadors and diplomats. All public places of enjoyment (parks, state buildings, galleries), children’s education systems, the national birth rate, social issues regarding children and sex.
- 6th House – The nation’s food reserves, grains, farming industry. Public record-keeping, such as libraries, archivists, etc. The working class in general. Public employees and service people, trade unions, social security.
- 7th House – The national marriage/divorce rates, public enemies, whether war or peace can be expected. Treaties and agreements with other nations.
- 8th House – The national debt, the collection of taxes, danger through war or national disasters, the resources of the nation’s enemy. Financial relations with other countries. The death rate.
- 9th House – Religion and all religious institutions, foreign affairs, international law, the UN. Shipping, sea traffic and long distance journeys. Airlines. Law, Universities and publishing.
- 10th House – Those in authority (Prime Ministeres, Kings, Presidents, dictators). The police/armed forces when they assert power over the population. The Heads of State. The national reputation and prestige. According to some, this is the most powerful of all houses in mundane astrology.
- 11th House – Parliament, town and county councils. Friends/allies of the nation. The hopes of the nation. Places of relief/shelter.
- 12th House – The prison system, criminals, spies, secret enemies of the nation at home or abroad. Underground movements, covert groups. Isolation, restriction, imprisoned persons. Hospitals, asylums and institutions. The welfare system. Homeless and the infirm.
Ceres & Uranus
Not so shocking that Ceres (food) and uranus (trauma) are showing up in the 6th House, which handles the nation’s food reserves as well as the general public. As I’ve said, I’ve been watching this transit for a while; the exact conjunction will occur in the next few days on 24th June, 2016, and be activated and re-activated off and on until January 2017 (the next conjunctions will be around 11th September, and then again around the 11th of December). All of this happening in the sign of Aries makes for a fight – the grocery store break-ins are no surprise in this chart.
What’s even more interesting is finding the asteroid Hugo just nearby. While Hugo Chavez died in 2013, some attribute the breakdown in Venezuela to his spending policies:
Chavez isn’t around anymore, but this is clearly his crisis. He took a country that was muddling along, and put it on course to become a basket case. There are worse kinds of rulers than that — those who massacre their own people or lead their nations into hopeless wars. But in terms of basic macroeconomic management Hugo Chavez has to go down as one of the most disastrous leaders the world has seen quite in a while.
With his name in the mix, I’d be hard-pressed to see it any other way. Equally, Venezuela’s natal Nessus, which is about a ‘wolf in sheep’s clothing’ is also right underneath the Uranus-Ceres-Eris-Hugo conjunction. And all of this trines Saturn (restriction, denial) in the 2nd house of the nation’s assets.
You could say I was assuming too much, and you’d probably be right. But it might interest you to know that natal asteroid Hugo is conjunct transiting Nessus (again!), on top of asteroid Sphinx, which talks about secrets and hidden information.
I’m probably just overreacting.
Mars conjunct Mars
Another interesing pieces is that the day of the news story transiting Mars crossed over top the top of Venezuela’s natal Mars, and since the 1st House rules the common people, the backlash wouldn’t have been unexpected. As this movement directly opposed natal asteroid Thetis (Goddess of Water), I wonder if the lack of water was the straw that broke the camel’s back? Interestingly, transiting Thetis is conjoined Nessus (abuse, misuse of power).
Mars will move direct at the end of this month, and cross over natal Mars once again, and a few days later, will cross over the asteroid Venezuela. We’ll have to wait and see what happens here, but at the best, it would indicate yet another public clash.
And interesingly, asteroid Caracas is seen at the zenith (highest point) of the chart, right next to Vulcanus – quite literally, it’s an explosive situation.
America & China
I went ahead and checked out the asteroids for both China and America since they are, or were, powerful partners to Venezuela.
China natally sits in the 3rd House of Venezuela’s chart, which is no surprise as they were given a loan of $45 billion from China not too long ago. By transit asteroid China now sits in the 2nd House, which is appropriate given their financial relationship. Otherwise, it’s not afficting any other parts of the chart, which would hope to indicate that they’ve had no hand in exacerbating Venezuela’s current situation.
America, however…Hmm. Asteroid America is natally placed in the 10th House of Venezuela’s chart; this could have been expected as the USA here may represent an entity that can assert power on the country, which of course the USA is known to do indiscriminately worldwide.
The next part is possibly more worrying. The relations between the USA & Venezuela have been unwell since Hugo Chavez took power in 1999, but since 2014/2015 the USA has imposed economic sanctions against the Government of Venezuela. Venezuela had actually accused the USA of trying to lead a coup.
By transit, America is in the 12th House of hidden enemies, next to asteroid Nemesis (literally, enemy), and also next to Juno, which amongst its many themes can talk about the mistreatment of powerless people. Equally, and this could be something for someone far more aware of international politics to ponder: Juno is also known for giving away her power – I wonder where this might fit into the story? Hypothetical planet Apollon (commerce) amidst this bunch may tell a story about the damage American policy has done on the Venezuelan economy and food crisis.
Achilles & Karma
I love the asteroids Achilles and Karma as much as one can possibly like something that portends so much pain. In a chart reading like this one, they are nearly indispensible.
Natally, Karma is in the 1st house next to natal Uranus, and making a trine to Venezuela’s Sun. By transit, it is in a powerful, fiery collision of energies occurring on the cusp of the 9th house, where we have Venus ($$), Libitina (death), Karma, Hera (ther powerless), Hades (poverty, sickness, crime). It’s worth mentioning that nearby we also have Kronos (government leaders) conjoined Icarus (risk, gambles that lead to a fall). The Sun will shortly be moving over this space.
Achilles is placed equally chillingly. Natally, it’s seen in the 10th House, near to transiting Eukrate (water), Dionysus (farming) and Hopi (ambush attacks). Transiting Achilles is conjoined Hades (poverty, sickness, crime), Dejanaira (abuse)); nearby is Neptune (delusions/illusions) conjoined asteroid Pomona (farming, harvesting).
The March Solar Eclipse on March 8/9th occurred on top of Pluto (mining, hidden matters) and the South Node in the 5th House. Later in March, there was a Lunar Eclipse in the 12th House, nearly exact the asteroid ‘Grieve’ and opposing the asteroid Niobe (sorrows) in the 6th House of their food supply. This may have been the kick-off of the downward spiral of the Venezualan food crisis.
Later this year, a Lunar Eclipse will occur on the natal Chiron of Venezuela in the 4th House, which may be about a larger moment of finality in their oil industry, as the 4th rules these activities.
The last Lunar Eclipse of the year will occur in the 5th House conjunct transiting Chiron.